Spygate scandal update – Southampton’s appeal fails, with Tonda Eckert facing potential dismissal as the FA investigates amid reports of player unrest. - talk2soccer

Blog

Spygate scandal update – Southampton’s appeal fails, with Tonda Eckert facing potential dismissal as the FA investigates amid reports of player unrest.


Southampton has been eliminated from the play-offs and given a four-point deduction for spying on Middlesbrough.

Boro claimed that a Southampton representative videotaped and photographed their pre-match training session ahead of the first leg of their play-off semi-final.



This prompted an EFL hearing earlier this week, during which the Hampshire club was pulled from promotion contention.


Kim Hellberg’s team will face Hull City in the final on Saturday, with a return to the Premier League at stake.



Here’s the latest news on Southampton’s expulsion from the play-offs.


Southampton lose their appeal.



Southampton contested the independent commission’s decision to exclude the club from Saturday’s play-off final.


The club was given an instant right to respond, but the appeal was unsuccessful, despite CEO Phil Parsons’ confidence that the decision would be overturned.

This means that the Saints will have to compete in the Championship next season, having missed out on promotion after defeating Middlesbrough 2-1 in the play-off semi-finals.

The Hampshire team will also begin next season with a four-point deduction penalty, putting them at the bottom of the league before a ball is even kicked.

Tonda Eckert faces Southampton sacking and FA probe.

According to talkSPORT, Eckert is facing an FA investigation for his role in the Southampton spying case, which might result in a ban from sport.

The English Football Association is set to explore charges against persons implicated in the eavesdropping scandal, as they continue their probe now that the EFL hearing has completed.

According to The Times, his position is now seen untenable as a result of Southampton’s elimination from the play-offs, and the 33-year-old is under fire.

Dragan Solak, the Saints’ owner, is said to be upset about the scandal that has engulfed the club, with expulsion from the play-off final depriving them the opportunity to collect £200 million as a result of promotion.

Sponsors are also expected to walk out of existing partnerships with the Championship side, potentially costing the team significant income.

Southampton players consider taking legal action.

According to The Athletic, Southampton players are mulling legal action against the club as a result of their expulsion from the playoffs.

It is reported that certain team members took a 40% pay cut last year after being relegated from the Premier League.

However, athletes were expected to have their pay restored to former levels if promoted, leaving them with a potential loss of profits.

It has been stated that they have contacted their union, the Professional Footballers’ Association, to discuss next moves.

Harry Redknapp reacted to Southampton’s play-off expulsion.

Former Southampton manager Harry Redknapp has said that the decision to remove the Saints from the play-offs was severe, and that he is astonished by the conclusion of their hearing.

He chastised the club for their conduct, claiming that the possible gain was not worth the danger of jeopardising their promotion chances, and that he expected the Hampshire club to be fined.

“I think it’s very harsh [to expel Southampton], I didn’t see that coming— I thought they would get a heavy fine,” Redknapp told the BBC.

“What they’ve done is ridiculous.

“What are you learning from someone filming a training session?

“What do you learn from watching them train for an hour?

“That was a ridiculous thing to do.

“They made a big, big mistake and have been severely punished—they truly have.

“I’m not sure how it will turn out; we surely haven’t heard the last of it.

“It’s a crazy situation— I thought they would get a massive fine but to be thrown out of the play-offs is really very severe.”

Leeds United was fined £200,000 for spying on Derby County’s training in 2019, but that event prompted the EFL to enact a regulation outlawing the practice, resulting in a harsher punishment for Southampton.



xz

About the author

talk2soccer

Leave a Comment